Sunday, April 15, 2012

Book Review!

"Maine"
By: J. Courtney Sullivan

Background of the story: Three generations of women and their secrets, fears, lies, and betrayal all revolve around a summer house in Maine. Juicy and delicious... after some time.

I literally started this book a month ago and just finished it yesterday. That is soooo unlike me. I usually tear through a book within just a few days but for some reason I just could not get into this story. I read about 100 pages or so and set the book down for a couple weeks. There are a lot of characters and a large family tree to learn and each chapter changes the point of view that the story is told from so maybe it was the constant changing that I just couldn't get used to. I really don't know why I had such a hard time diving right in because when I picked up the book again yesterday, I finished it and I really enjoyed it.

I did not find this book really juicy until yesterday when secrets started to unravel and the characters were mingling with one another a little more. Sullivan does a great job describing each woman and I especially fell in love with the character Maggie and the journey she was on. I think there is a woman for each of us in this book. A character we can somehow relate to on some level and I believe that makes this story captivating for women of various ages.

The ending left a little to be desired. I felt like all the characters had closure except one and I wished we weren't dangling at the very end but in a way, it allows the reader to create their own ending based upon their opinion of that particular character.

I wouldn't say that this was an "easy" read as I clearly had to take a break from it early on but when I cracked it open yesterday, I couldn't put it down. If anyone has read this or plans to read this, I would love to hear your thoughts as well!

Enjoy the rest of your weekend!
xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by my blog! I love to hear from my readers so please comment and I'll get back with you soon! xoxo