Monday, March 12, 2012

Being A Biblical Wife in a Modern World

Decisions, Decisions

"Be very careful, then, how you live- not as unwise but as wise, making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil."
~ Ephesians 5:15-16 ~

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."
~ Jeremiah 29:11 ~

Jeremiah 29:11 has to be one of my favorite Bible verses and one that I find myself returning to time and time again. There have been several times throughout the past few years that I have felt completely and utterly overwhelmed and on the verge of a total breakdown, meltdown, or whatever going crazy is called! Since being married I certainly have not slowed down. Whether it's my job or my home life, something has always kept me busy. I enjoy being involved in 500 different activities and always like to dabble in projects that help me feel "creative". I like to expand my network base by doing extra, outside jobs, I like to fit in as much cleaning or errands as possible into one day, I want to invest myself in a Bible study, or two or three. As much as these things are all great uses of my time, I sometimes agree to things because I think it will benefit me. Me, me, me. These are things that are pleasing to me but am I pleasing God with how I'm choosing to spend my time? There have been numerous times where I have literally worn my body down to the point of being absolutely exhausted and sick; All because I was selfishly thinking of myself and what was beneficial for me.

I am so grateful that the Lord led me to my hubby because he finally turned on the light bulb inside of my head. I simply can not do everything and I can not please everyone. There are only 24 hours in a day and it is okay to say no and to not be involved in everything that I'm asked to do.

It's been awhile since I've read The Purpose Driven Life but the author, Rick Warren, poses an excellent question when it comes to deciding whether or not to agree to something.

"Does this activity help me fulfill one of God's purposes for my life?"

This seems like a fairly simple question but I find that it's not. Answering this question means feeling confident that you know your purpose and what God is calling you to do. I think we have all had times where we question what it is that we're meant to be doing in this earthly life of ours. Honestly, I'm not entirely sure that I understand what my full purpose is but I am faithful that God will continue to show me. From what God has revealed thus far, I am absolutely positive that I am here to fulfill more than one purpose. I am positive that most of us are here to serve a multitude of people and communities. Just think about all the "hats" we wear as wives and women. We're wives, Christians, chefs, boo boo fixers, daughters, sisters, workers, helpers, etc,...

My goal is to take this week and really pray and search for what my goals and purposes are at this time in my life. I want to create a mission statement for how I strive to live each day and how I plan to serve our Powerful and Almighty God. Maybe you can do the same. How do you want to represent Christ each day? What is your purpose as a wife? What goals at work and with God's help, how do you plan to reach them? Where do you feel God is leading you right now? I am a visual person and I like to have something in front me so I can really grasp its message. By writing a mission statement for what we want to accomplish, we have something tangible to refer back to and something to continue to grow from.

It can be a scary and intimidating task to go to God and search for our purpose but what an incredible thing to know that God already knows our purpose and in His timing He will reveal those precious gifts to us. We all have a purpose to contribute to those around us.

Prayers for you mission statements and I'm looking forward to what God reveals to us this week!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by my blog! I love to hear from my readers so please comment and I'll get back with you soon! xoxo