Monday, February 27, 2012

Being A Biblical Wife in a Modern World

Staying Focused

"But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well."
~ Matthew 6:33~

"For those who live according to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh, but those who live according to the Spirit set their minds on the things of the Spirit."
~Romans 8:5~

As women and wives, our days are stacked full of constant "to do" lists. Staying on top of our work, keeping our homes somewhat presentable, cooking meals for our loved ones, keeping our hubby organized, making time to call a close friend, etc,...etc,... Our lists are constant and at times can seem never ending but isn't it such a wonderful feeling when everything is checked off our lists? It doesn't happen too often for me but when everything on that list is completed and marked off, I know that I can finally enjoy some "me" time.

When we have our alone time and can enjoy those rare moments of resting and being lazy, do we turn to God and spend those moments with Him? Or do we turn to other things like the TV and internet? I admit that I fall with the latter group. I am so quick to open up my computer and check Facebook and Twitter or log in to Pinterest and start pinning away. It's easy to click on the TV or throw in a movie to watch or curl up on the couch and read the latest book series. And while these things can be great and fun, we so easily place them higher on our priority list above spending that quiet, one on one time with God and with His Word.

I think it is so important for us to take a step back and re-evaluate how we prioritize our "extra" time. For me, this past month was absolutely hectic and was full of work and lots of traveling for work! Sometimes we don't get that coveted "me" time and our time with God can feel limited and maybe even slip through the cracks. It is always so easy to come up with an excuse. "I'll do that Bible Study tomorrow." "I'll catch up on my devotions later." "I'm just too tired to pray right now." Do any of these things sound familiar? They certainly do to me! In between the hustle and bustle of the month of February I didn't have a lot of down time but when I did, I didn't prioritize my time well.

I woke up yesterday just not feeling right. I felt like something was missing. It is difficult to describe the feeling but it was almost as if I was craving something. And then it hit me... I was craving God's Word. I was craving some quality "me" time with the Lord. I had denied myself this important time and totally taken it for granted when I found myself tired or overwhelmed. I still prayed daily and read my devotions here and there but I had gotten out of the routine of my Bible Study and my "God tank" was running pretty close to empty!

I don't ever want to feel too busy for God but I understand that life happens and sometimes our schedules get hectic but as women and wives, we need to be a leader and a model for how to keep our priorities straight. We can say that we put God first but our actions speak much louder than our words. We need to show God that we put Him first and then everything else will fall into place.

1 comment:

  1. JUST found your blog- and so far, it seems to be what I've been looking for! Thank you for the reminder and encouragement.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my blog! I love to hear from my readers so please comment and I'll get back with you soon! xoxo